Standing out in a crowded classroom can be tough. The dance industry is full of competition and talent so it helps to have a few tricks up your sleeve. Here are five tips that I use to give myself an edge amongst so many great dancers.
1. Outfit – Your choice of attire is a great way to stand out. What you wear sets a visual representation of how you feel, and how you want to be seen by others. Wear something fun and eye catching!
2. Musicality – Your sensitivity to music stipulates what type of dancer you are. You may be learning the same choreography as everybody else, but it’s how you feel and interpret the music that defines you. This is why your ability to improvise is important as well. Some people are more keen to this than others. In order to differentiate yourself, you have to to do more than just run through the steps (otherwise dance would be called marking). Your timing and adaptation to different dance styles are a few components which comprise your personal musicality.
3. Presence – This term can be ambiguous in definition but it’s crucial in order to stand out. Throughout all aspects of our lives we are constantly told to be present. What this means is to show up and act with intention. You should want to learn the choreo. You should want to improve. You should want to be great. Aside from passion, part of being present is being seen. If you want to stand out, place yourself in a physical position to do so. All the talent in the world can be tough to see from the back of the room.
4. Hard Work – This may seem obvious but you would be amazed how often this quality gets pushed to the wayside. Be a person of substance. You are in class to sweat, compete and get better. Your image is only as important as the quality of work that rises to meet it.
5. Confidence – If I could choose one thing on which to focus, this would be it. Nobody has ever accomplished anything of importance in life without believing in themselves. Confidence does not demean humility. They should coincide. You are allowed to think you are great and you are allowed to let that shine through in everything you do. Carry yourself with confidence and poise in everything you do.